What a way to add a little excitement to our trip. On our second day of tending the kids and pets in Oshkosh, I put the extension leash on Lacy, the 60 pound lab, and let her out the back door. She bolted, but I held on tight,determined that she would not get away. BIG MISTAKE!!! When Lacy hit the end of the leash, running full bore, she pulled me off my feet. I flew a good 10 feet and landed chin and wrist first on concrete. I looked at my mangled wrist and saw what I thought was a piece of one half inch concrete imbedded in my flesh, but not so. It was the end of a fractured bone. Brian heard me yelling and rose to the occasion by bringing a towel and blanket and simutaneously calling Amber and 911 and corraling two little grandsons and an exuberant barking Lacy.
.
Amber looked so beautiful in her cap and gown. She overcame many challenges while working on her bachelor's degree in social work. Amber is a truely remarkable woman, and we are exceedingly proud of her.
We lost the tread from a back tire, for the second time this trip, and had to be towed into Springfield, Mo.
The hillsides in Kentucky and Indiana are a beautiful blend of rock shelves and junipers. Roadtrips are definitely the way to go when you want to really get know the country. The view from Patricia's kitchen in Defiance, Mo. is magnificent,and we enjoyed it every morning as we ate the breakfasts she made for us. Their home is built on three acres of forested land. The backyard goes down to a ravine with a stream that is fed by a spring. Across the ravine the hillside goes up again, forested with maples and brush, and interspersed with limestone ledges.

1 comments:

mommyshan said...

Mom... you look just as beautiful as the view out Trish's window! I am so glad that you are okay and that your fabulous trip is coming to an end! Amber looks fantastic in graduation robes! I am so proud!